This page was last updated on 12 January 2013. The rest of the site was last updated on 28 September 2012.
Welcome to my woefully out-of-date website.
But I have plans -- BIG plans. Plans for deleting obsolete content. Plans for refurbishing old but relevant content. Plans for shiny new content.
BIG plans! Which I will get to next week. (Would I lie? Again?)
Seriously, though -- the underlying technology of this website is a bit long in the tooth, so I am going to put the hood up and convert it over to some sort of content management system, which should make it easier to keep up to date. The Foreign Policy article has also energized me to finally start my Fleet Operations blog as well. (Yeah, I've been saying this for a while -- the holdup has been teaching myself WordPress and finding the right service provider to host it. Aargh!)
Books, books, BOOKS! [Books]
My library currently has in excess of 9,000 volumes; here's what I've read (and liked), what I'm reading, and what's in the queue -- and a link or two to my favorite book-sites.
- Naval SF Recommended
- Sherwood Smith and Dave Trowbridge's Exordium
- Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers
- M. K. Wren's The Phoenix Legacy
- The Problem with Del Rey Publishing
- Interstellar, Intrastellar, and Space Travel List
- Fiction pocket summaries
- Non-fiction pocket summaries and reviews
Fun and Games [Games]
Every game player is a frustrated game designer, and I am no exception. Here's some stuff I've written or been involved with, stuff I am working on, Gaming "Hints from Heloise", and links to some game sites on the net.
- Vector Movement System for use with Babylon 5 Wars and other games
- SFCONSIM-L, the science fiction wargames mailing list
- Player aids and variants
- Don Hawthorne's Integration Packets
Life, The Universe, and Everything [Essays]
A flippant title for a section with some serious essays, not necessarily by me.
- A Veteran's Guide to Revisionist History (or "Please Excuse the Young Guys Trying to Have Lives"), by CDR Ward Carroll, USN
- Untitled essay on technology, by Poul Anderson
- "At Sea With the US Navy," by Christopher Weuve
- Wade Hinkle's "Nine Billion Names of God" Website
Miscellaneous Items [Miscellaneous ]
Miscellaneous pages which do not fit elsewhere.
- You call that customer service? My experiences with people (especially MacWarehouse) I've paid money to -- the good, the bad and the ugly.
- The Mysteries of the Universe -- REVEALED! Yes, nothing less than the wisdom of the ages, packaged especially for you! (Unlike the Queen, we are amused.)
Frequently asked questions [FAQ]
About the site ("We don't need no stinkin' graphics!") and about me.
Comments? Please let me know.